Thursday, November 17, 2011

the french and eating

This reminded me of why I love living in France:Americans need to stop multitasking while eating alone, argues French sociologist Claude Fischler

It almost reminded me of how last night my dad and I made a run for Taco Bell at 11pm... almost.

"Food portions are significantly bigger in the U.S. than in France. Yet North Americans spend less than an hour each day eating what's on their hefty plates, while the French spend more than two hours each day enjoying "food experiences." France's obesity rate weighs in much lower than America's and even other European nations'. American women spend more time multi-tasking while eating and are less likely to remember everything (or time) they ate than do French women. ("If you're eating constantly, it's difficult to remember," Fischler cracked.)

Does this all add up to the mysterious "French Paradox"? Fischler doesn't think it's much of a mystery."

I don't think it's much of mystery either. My theory is that the wine magically removes calories - at least that's what I told myself everyday when I bought my 2.50euro cote du rhone at monoprix. Maybe I should suggest this theory to my advisor and be my own participant, for healthy living purposes of course.

vive la france!

No comments:

Post a Comment